Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Brain is Connected to the Back Bone 03/27/14


Let’s be honest, this injury isn’t my first rodeo. If I inherited anything from my father, I inherited the bull in him. I’m heavy handed, hard on my body and when I decide I want something, I put 700% of myself into that thing – sometimes to a fault – all leaving me with a pretty hefty tolerance for pain. I’ve had two knee surgeries leaving me with two screws in my right knee, one shoulder surgery, a broken ankle, countless strains and sprains and more cuts, burns and bruises than I would ever care to count. However, this injury is different. All of my prior incidents have had an end in sight and I’ve understood the injured mechanism and knew how to work around it. Sure, I still have days where my knee bothers me or I may sleep funny and leave my shoulder sore, but I know that it is temporary and I’ll be back to me shortly. This one is different.

This injury has proven to be so much more than just physical. The first week of March was the absolute worst week I have ever had in my life. Simple movements would leave me shivering and sobbing in pain; I couldn’t walk without crutches and even with them I was still sobbing harder with every step. My mom had to pull up my pants for me in the bathroom because I couldn’t bend down to do it – and I could rarely even use the restroom once I got in there because the pain of sitting upright was so immense that the rest of my body just shut down. I remember lying on the couch thinking that my life was over. I couldn’t even fathom getting back to any form of normalcy considering how terrible the pain was… how much my body wasn’t working – or how much it was working against me.

Things have improved considerably over the past two weeks in regards to my physical condition, but my mind is still struggling. Before hurting my back, my body was so fucking strong. I was doing awesome at work, I could lift more than a lot of guys at my gym and I had a desire to be so much more and so much better than I was. Now all of that – everything that meant SO MUCH to me – seems so far out of reach. I cry because I feel like I’ve lost my identity. Other than Nora, my entire life was work and working out… and now I can’t do either of those things, or even pick up my baby girl. I’ve spent the last three weeks on the couch while lives are happening all around me. I slept upstairs in my bed for the first time last night with Nora and she woke up in the middle of the night screaming and crying because she wanted to sleep with my mom… because she’s slept with her for the last three weeks. I just feel pretty useless right now. My chiropractor warned that it was easy to get depressed with injuries like this because it can be so frustrating and feel so hopeless – and it effects every part of the body. He keeps stressing how important it is to stay positive and hopeful so the negativity doesn’t cause regression with the recovery process… but that is far easier said than done. As I still struggle to walk at times, I have a hard time imagining my life or my body ever being back to normal. I fear that I won’t be able to run again. I fear that I won’t be able to go hiking with Nora. I fear that I will have to change my career. I fear that a simple movement will throw me back into the excruciating pain I experienced just two weeks ago. I have never been one to let the challenges of my body hold me back from doing anything, and I feel like I’m succumbing to the fear of the pain.

Despite all of the negative aspects of this injury, I have discovered some positive to hold onto. Never in my life have I been so appreciative of the simple things. The ability to walk, to drive, to stand, to bend, to run, to jump, to dance. Never again will I take for granted the ability to function without pain. Never again will I waste a day of physical freedom by sitting lazily. It has certainly put things into perspective and I find myself getting annoyed much easier when I hear people complain about silly things or see people lamenting about insignificant things on Facebook. I can’t help but want to say to them, “Yes, but can you walk? Okay, shut the fuck up.”

I know it will get better and I’m on the path to recovery… I’m just waiting for that light at the end of the tunnel.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment